Duplicate protection is coming to Magic the Gathering Arena with the January 17th, 2019 game update! This has been a feature many of you have been asking for, and devs are happy to announce that in a few short days it will finally be here. For players, this process should be seamless – you’ll either receive a Rare or Mythic Rare you have less than four copies of, or you will receive Gems instead. Here’s a breakdown of how it works depending on where you obtain your cards from:
For those of you who want to know more, we have a breakdown of the system below. But there are a few things we want to call out before that. First, Rares and Mythic Rares are protected separately. This means if you’ve collected playsets of every Mythic Rare card in a set, you will receive Gems the next time you would receive a Mythic Rare – it will not ‘downgrade’ to a Rare (or vice versa). The Wildcard tracker and Wildcard pack drop rates will not be changing, and opening a booster pack still contributes towards the tracker – even when you receive Gems. Daily Quests and Weekly Win rewards will also remain the same with this update. One of the things devs do need to change with the implementation of duplicate protection is the upgrade rate for individual card rewards (ICRs). Finally, Uncommons and Commons will still contribute to your Vault progress, and the rewards from opening a Vault are unchanged – for now. Devs are still looking at implementing a system beyond how our Vault currently functions, but to ensure that duplication protection was available for the release of Ravnica Allegiance the Vault will remain as a way for players to receive Wildcards from extra copies of Commons and Uncommons.
Now, onto the intricacies of how duplicate protection will work.
Booster Packs (from the Store, Weekly Wins, etc.):
- If you open a Rare or Mythic Rare card that you don’t have four copies of, you receive the card. Easy enough.
- If you would open a Rare or Mythic Rare card that you already have four copies of, the system will automatically replace it with a different card of the same rarity from that set.
- If you’ve collected all the Rares and/or Mythic Rares in the set, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
Limited Packs (Drafts and Sealed):
- Duplicate protection is not applied when you open a 14-card pack in a Limited Event – you will still see and be able to pick any Rare or Mythic Rare card, even if you already have four copies of it in your collection.
- Once you have finished with your Draft picks or opened your Sealed packs, the system will convert any extra copies you may have received. Rares/Mythic Rares will become Gems, and Commons/Uncommons will go towards the Vault.
- Duplicate cards will still be a part of your limited card pool for deckbuilding and participating in the event.
Individual Card Rewards (ICRs):
- If you receive a Rare/Mythic Rare ICR you already have four copies of, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
- If your receive an Uncommon ICR that’s upgraded to a Rare or Mythic Rare, and you already already have four copies of the upgraded ICR, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
- If you receive an Uncommon ICR and you already have four copies of it, the card will go towards the Vault.